Oracle Development DBA
• Over 30 years experience in the field of relational database system development with over 13 years of oracle RDBMS experience.
• Both theoretical and practical knowledge in the area of relational database management systems including database design thru
• first, second and third normal form using data modeling tools like MS Visio, Erwin and oracle Designer.
• Sound understanding of and experience with the software development life cycle models. With over 30 years developing software
• systems through specification, development, design, coding and testing.
• oracle RDBMS work done mainly on Data Warehouse systems.
• Extensive experience with the oracle RDBMS (9i, 10g and 11g) using SQL and PL/SQL, data pump, SQL Loader, Datapump, external
• tables developing both ETL and non ETL functionality.
• Effective communications with technical staff, management, customers and vendors making possible the effective conversion of
• customer requirements into
• US Citizen.
• Graduate work in IT PhD program
• George Mason University, Fairfax, VA Sept 1994 to Dec 2002
• MBA Degree Virginia Technical University, Northern Virginia Graduate Center 1990
• MA in Computer Sciences
• University of Texas at Austin 1976 Dec 1976
• oracle Training oracle Database 11g Administration I George Mason University
• oracle Database 10g Administration Workshop I. George Mason University
• oracle PL/SQL Programming. Strayer University
• oracle9i Fundamentals I. Strayer University
• oracle8: SQL Statement Tuning Workshop. oracle Corp.
• oracle Symmetric Replication. oracle Corp.
Operating System MS Windows/DOS and various flavors of Unix
Database Management Systems oracle 9i, 10g and 11g Release 2.
Familiarity with MS SQL Server 2005 and 2008. Experience in migrating data from MS SQL Server to the oracle RDBMS.
Programming Languages and Other Tools SQL and PL/SQL. DBCA. Data Pump Import and Export. oracle Enterprise Manager.
• • • • • SQL*Plus. Advanced Replication, SQL*Loader, Virtual Private Database (VPD)/Fine Grained Access Control.
• • • • • MS Word, Excel, Project and Visio Technical, SQL Developer and SQL Developer Data Modeler.
Other programming languages that I have used in the past are PL/I, Java, Pascal, Fortran, Lisp and Prolog.
Analysis and Design Methodologies Structured Analysis and Design techniques as developed in Gane and Sarson’s Structured Systems Analysis
• • • • • and Yourdon and Constantine’s Structured Design. Object-oriented analysis as developed by Coad and
• • • • • Yourdon’s Object-oriented Analysis.
Career History & Accomplishments
November to December 2013 oracle Database Analysis, SAVA
• Database system analysis of an operational Department of Labor database surrounding issues that developed after an unscheduled halt.
December 2011 to Nov 2012 oracle Developer, Agilex
• Supporting Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) software development efforts as a PL/SQL Developer
December 2010 to Jan 2011 oracle DBA, Convergenz LLC
• General oracle DBA support to the development and operational staffs at the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in Winchester, VA.
January 2010 to November 2010 oracle Development DBA, TFSG Inc
• This is a permanent position with TFSG in an analysis/development project on a Federal Election Commission (FEC) contract.
• The FEC currently collects and publishes as mandated by Congress information collected from political committees and candidates.
• The key requirements are the reception of the data which arrives in paper or electronic formats, and the publication of the data within 48 hours.
• The database size is in the 225 GB range. The FEC is interested in improving its existing systems.
• My position is responsible for analysis of the current database structure and its data with an eye to determining what improvements are
• necessary or desirable to allow the FEC to improve its function as a collector and publisher of Federal elections data. I also support
• other members of the team on database issues.
• This includes the analysis of the current database to determine issues of data quality, structural improvements, and data auditing.
• Current efforts include a redesigned, normalized database design, and involvement in creating a prototype of the new system for customer evaluation.
• oracle11g Release 2 is the version of oracle being used. Documentation is developed using the MS Office Suite in conjunction with MS Visio.
March 2009 to December 2009 oracle DBA, American Systems, Inc
• This is a permanent position with American Systems in an IV&V group working on a Department of State contract.
• This is a general support functions to the testers. Our section is responsible for data transfers from the production systems
• and database support to our staff in their testing functions. I have been involved in
• Developing cold backup scripts for the databases managed by our group.
• Supporting various aspects of data replication and synchronization among the tables of the various databases...
• Database transfers from production to IV&V using Data Pump Import or cold backup files transfers.
• Supporting users in understanding, working with and troubleshooting the oracle database portions of the applications being tested.
• Interfacing with the development and operational staff to correct database(s) errors discovered.
• Working with a multiple sets of federated oracle databases with each database ranging from under one gigabyte to over
• 600 gigabytes with a total size for each federation of approximately 1.5 terabytes.
July 2007 to Oct 2008 oracle Development DBA, KForce Professional Staffing
• This was a contract position with KForce working on a Navy contract for a firm located in Reston, VA. My function was to develop
• an oracle 10g database to support a data mining effort using data from a Navy database. Since I am the only oracle person working
• on this project, I am a full lifecycle person.
• In the role of a development DBA
• I created an initial data warehouse to merge data from diverse naval platforms over diverse time periods into one consistent
• view of the data. I also created an initial process to merge the platform data when received into the data warehouse.
• I performed studies to determine the best ways of developing the system. Advanced Replication, oracle Streams, and
• Data Pump Export and Import were evaluated as methods for transferring data among databases. And, retrieval and
• update timing studies were performed to select between alternative database designs.
• I carried out the early steps of the SDLC including requirements gathering via document research and interviews,
• and database modeling using MS Visio as a CASE tool to define the database objects (tables, views, primary and foreign keys,
• sequences, tablespaces, indexes, synonyms, triggers and external tables).
• I created and managed the objects of the database including tables, views, primary and foreign keys, sequences, tablespaces,
• indexes, synonyms, triggers and external tables.
• I developed and tuned SQL and PL/SQL scripts for populating and accessing the database(s).
• I supported other members of the staff in the accessing, analysis and evaluation of the data in the databases.
• In the role of an operational DBA
• I installed and deinstalled oracle 10g other oracle products in MS Windows environments.
• I created and deleted databases via DBCA. I administered database using oracle Enterprise Manager and command line scripts.
• I transferred data from external data sources into our databases via Data Pump and external tables.
• I performed oracle patch installation.
• I managed user accounts in the databases granting and revoking database privileges and roles.
• I gathered database statistics using query DBMS_STATS and ANALYZE, and tuned databases objects and queries via indexes,
• tablespace management and plans analysis.
Nov 2005 to July 2007 oracle Developer, Naepian Consulting Group, Inc
• The main thrust of this position is to support the Department of Justice (DOJ) in accessing data warehouses containing
• legal case information. The core functions were expressed in a set of over 400 SQL reporting scripts developed over a period of
• six years by a number of contractors. The main challenge is providing consistent reports in a reliable, timely fashion.
• I addressed the issues in the following manner:
• I gave first priority to responding immediately to any request as it arrived.
• I began a task to restructure and consolidate the scripts into a smaller, more controllable set of scripts. The each script
• was reorganized into four phases: Initialization, Data Retrieval, Print Reports, and Clean Up. I have been able to reduce
• the core scripts by a factor or four.
• I restructured the SQL of the scripts so as to improve performance. This included tuning the SQL using hints, EXPLAIN PLAN
• and DBMS_XPLAN.DISPLAY, and replacing materialized views with temporary tables or subquery factoring clauses. I also analyzed
• the UNION statements to insure that a UNION ALL would not be more appropriate.
• I introduced elements of PL/SQL as I deemed appropriate.
• I was also responsible for the migration of the scripts from oracle 9i to oracle 10g. I performed this task by randomly selecting
• approximately 70 scripts from the over 400 and running them against the new 10g versions of the two data warehouses. Problems were
• identified and addressed. The test scripts were successfully rerun. We have since encountered no problems due to the migration to oracle 10g.
Sept to Nov 2005 oracle Developer, NRI Technology Solutions
• oracle database analysis and development.
May to June 2005 Data Modeler, Preferred Systems Solutions
• Development of a data model using MS Visio in support of an ETL reengineering effort
Aug to Nov 2004 Data Warehouse Developer, Precision Task Group
• Development and administration of oracle Discoverer Data.
• Database design and documentation using MS Visio 2003.
• SQL tuning using MAKE PLAN.
• Transferring statistics between databases using DBMS_STATS
March to May 2004 Analyst, CACI
• Analysis of a proposed IT system for the OSD - DoD
1996 to 2003 oracle Development DBA, Innovative Logistics Techniques, Inc
• Participated in the development of database requirements for data warehousing systems.
• Gathered requirements into CASE tools, i.e., oracle Designer, ERWIN and MS Visio. Developed logical database designs, both entity
• relationship and dimensional models. Evolved the physical database designs from the logical models. Created the database objects
• (tables, views, triggers, procedures, functions, packages, sequences, indexes, materialized views, etc.). Functions, procedures and
• packages were developed in both PL/SQL and Java. Created database documentation from the Designer or ERWIN data dictionary.
• Managed the metadata using the CASE tools standard reports. The oracle databases were kept in sync with their definitions using
• oracle Designer’s reconciliation report. Database definition versioning was managed using SCCS.
• Also modeled system data flows and user database interactions. Modeled data movement over multiple database, distributed systems.
• Implemented the distribution design using oracle replication and Unix scripts.
• Created ETL procedures to populate the databases. Extractions were performed with SQL*PLUS and ODBC. Transformations were performed
• via SQL and SQLLOAD. Loads were done with SQLLOAD, oracle imports and ODBC. Update transactions were designed taking into account
• performance, rollback segments and locking.Optimized database update and queries. Insured that the relevant schemas were
• regularly analyzed in support of the cost-based optimizer using the oracle job queue. Analyzed SQL as deemed necessary and optimized.
• Created indexes, redesigned the database, restructured scripts, and created materialized views as appropriate.
• Developed user access/security models for databases. Enforced the model via views and oracle's Fine-Grained Access Control
• (Virtual Private Database). Developed the scripts defining the user roles and users in support of the access control policy.
• Responsible for user creation and management until the database was turned over to the operational DBA.
• Developed Java database access programs using both JDBC and SQLJ. Developed database monitoring reports to insure the proper
• functioning of the database aspects of the systems using Unix scripts, SQL*PLUS, SQL, and Crontab.
• Provided first and second level support to system users and operational administrative staff. Functioned as oracle Discoverer
• Administrator and provided user support. Participated in user training sessions, technical presentations to customers, and
• technical interface exchanges with vendors